The department is proposing updates to Victoria’s land-use planning system to bring it in line with the new environment protection framework which includes a new Environment Protection Amendment Act 2018. The new Act comes into effect on 1 July 2020.
The department is consulting with key stakeholders on the proposed changes to the Victoria Planning Provisions (VPP) to:
- bring it in line with the new environment protection changes, including provisions to the environmental audit system under the new Environment Protection Amendment Act 2018
- inform stakeholders of the broader administrative changes proposed to the VPP to ensure the correct instruments of the new Environment Protection framework are referred to.
Where can I find more information and make a submission?
Information on the proposed changes, the draft documents and how to make a submission can be accessed at
When will the opportunity to make a submission close?
Submissions are invited by Tuesday 5 May 2020.
What changes are proposed?
Proposed changes to the VPP include:
- Amendments to the State policy, Contaminated and potentially contaminated land at clause 13.04-1S
- Amendments to the Environmental Audit Overlay at clause 45.05
- A new reference to contaminated land at clause 65.01, Approval of an application or Plan at clause 65.02, Approval of an application to subdivide land in the decision guidelines
- A new general term for potentially contaminated land at clause 73.01
- General updates to VPP clauses that refer to instruments under the Environment Protection Act 2017.
Changes to other documents include:
- Amended Ministerial Direction No. 1 – Potentially Contaminated Land
- Amended Planning Practice Note 30: Potentially Contaminated Land.
Have your say
Find out how to get involved and have your say on specific planning reviews
Integrating environment protection reform into land use planning
Provide feedback on proposed changes to planning controls in response to the new Environment Protection Amendment Act 2018
Submissions opens on
12.00am - Friday 03 April 2020
Submissions close on
5.00pm - Tuesday 05 May 2020