What is State Project Facilitation?
State Project Facilitation:
- Guides project proponents to progress State projects through the planning system.
- Develops and manages streamlined processes for planning assessments.
- Provides advice to Victorian government departments and local government authorities on planning requirements for state planning projects.
- Coordinates assessments in line with environmental and native vegetation requirements.
- Processes project area designation submissions under the Major Transport Projects Facilitation Act 2009 on behalf of the Minister for Planning.
- Ensures that government land is zoned appropriately or reserves land proposed to be acquired for State projects.
Many projects on state government land are considered by the Minister for Planning due to their importance to the State of Victoria.
For examples of state infrastructure projects facilitated by State Project Planning Facilitation see:
Bell Street entrance to Coburg train station
Planning Scheme Amendments
The following state infrastructure projects were recently facilitated by State Project Facilitation Service:
Toorak Road, Kooyong Level Crossing Removal Project is part of the Victorian Government’s commitment to remove 75 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne by 2025 to improve road, rail and pedestrian safety and public transport facilities.
The Victorian Pride Centre, St Kilda is a new civic and community facility that will be the first of its kind in Australia. It will provide positive social benefits for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer (LGBTIQ) community and the Victorian community.
Ikon Park, Carlton North (previously Princes Park) provides for a facilities upgrade and transformation into the new home for AFLW.
Facilitated approval pathways
State Project Facilitation Service works with proponents to facilitate planning approvals. This may require changes to the Victoria Planning Provisions.
Clause 52.03 ‘Level Crossing Removal Project’ added to the Victoria Planning Provisions in 2020 establishes a standard planning approval process to assess all level crossing removal projects. Clause 52.03 supports the State Government’s commitment to remove 75 of the most dangerous level crossings, and upgrade rail corridors.
Clause 52.30 'State Projects' added to the Victoria Planning Provisions in 2021 establishes a standard planning approval process to prioritise the planning and assessments of state projects to support Victoria’s economic recovery from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Clause 52.30 supports projects determined by the Minister for Planning to be a state project, usually by or behalf of, or jointly or in partnership with, or funded by the State of Victoria or a public authority, or on Crown land.
More information can be found at Clause 52.30 assessment guideline
Planning scheme and amendment information
Native vegetation and environment assessment information
- Environment Assessment provides further information about the native vegetation and environment assessment process in Victoria.
- For information on the planning requirements for the removal, destruction and offset of native vegetation refer to Clause 52.17 ‘Native Vegetation’ of the Victoria Planning Provisions or the regulations and guidelines for the removal, destruction or lopping of native vegetation.
State Project Facilitation enquiries
Government Land Planning Service enquiries
For any further questions, contact the Government Land Planning Service team.